This article explains how to make enzyme cleaners at home and why they are better to use than standard cleaning products. Take a look.
What are enzymes?
Enzymes are “benevolent” chemicals in human bodies that accelerate metabolic reactions, break food down and speed up biological processes. They are catalysts capable of converting some molecules into other molecules. They can’t reproduce themselves. Due to their nature, enzymes are capable of breaking waste down. For this reason, these catalysts are used to make cleaning solutions.
What are enzymatic cleaners?
Enzyme or enzymatic cleaners are cleaning agents used to clean a wide range of surfaces in the house. The best thing about them is that they are non-toxic and biodegradable. What makes them so powerful is their ability to loosen debris, stains and soils. This is one of the reasons why enzyme cleaners are so widely used in the household.
Benefits of using enzyme cleaners:
- It’s better for nature: by using enzyme cleaners the amount of harmful compounds released in the air is reduced significantly.
- It’s better for you: using few or no chemicals in cleaning is much healthier for you and your loved ones. It prevents a number of health disorders and diseases such as asthma and difficulty breathing, allergic skin reactions and others.
- Enzyme cleaners are not caustic, therefore non-toxic.
- Enzymes have neutral pH levels. They remove bad odours.
- Enzyme cleaners can work in lower temperatures.
- They break down stains much faster and are more powerful than chemicals.
How to make your own enzyme cleaner
This recipe is for a liquid enzyme cleaner
Things you’ll need:
- 7 tablespoons of brown sugar
- 2.5 cups of orange and lemon peels (approx. 237 mL)
- 2-litre clean, empty plastic bottle
- Place sugar into the empty bottle. Take all the lemon and orange peels and put them under cold running water. Wash them well before use. Then slice them so they can be placed in the bottle.
- Now add one litre of water and put the cap on the bottle. Shake well so that the brown sugar dissolves. Next, loosen the cap a little to allow the gas to get out.
- Using a marker, write the current date on the label of your bottle. Now you need to let the mixture ferment. Wait three months. Within this time period Shiny Tenancy Cleaning guarantee that your enzyme cleaner will be ready to use.
The bottle will expand as the mixture ferments. Open the cap from time to time to relieve the pressure.
How to prepare the solution once it’s ready to use
Use a fine strainer, a piece of cheesecloth, or even a handkerchief to filter the solution. In a measuring cup add 1 litre of water and ½ cup of the solution. Shake well. Your enzyme cleaner is ready to use. Just pour the liquid into a clean spray bottle and voilà! – you can start cleaning.
Enzyme cleaners can break down grease, coffee, blood, urine, vomit, grime, oil and dirt. They can clean laundry, carpets, and other personal items including contact lenses. Additionally, you can wash your car, clean drains, remove stains from floors or toilet bowls, wash the dishes and many other things as well.
The product is not corrosive or abrasive, which is why it is so good to use on a number of surfaces. The fact that its smell is not strong or unappealing gives the solution an advantage over commercial chemical-laden cleaners.
Another use of enzyme cleaner is as an insect repellent. You can keep cockroaches, spiders and ants away.
And finally, enzyme cleaners work great for cleaning fruit and vegetables. You only need one tablespoon of the solution and water. Spray your veggies, rub well and let dry.
Shanon Gilborg is a Londoner, former student and current business owner.
Photo credit: Source unknown